Wednesday 22 February 2012

Re-Inventing the Wheel

Last year was the first year of our Homeschool. Even though my daughter was only 3 turning 4. It was the first time I had not been working and attempting to school her - even if it was just doing puzzles and connecting with each other!

I had a picture in my mind of her being able to learn everything with ease and exceed my (unrealistic) standards!

Well, was I in for a huge surprise... Life Happened... we didn't get to do as much as I had on my agenda... she didn't have any desire to do the 'workbooks' I wanted to get through... now what?

After reading and hearing advice from many other mothers about Homeschool, why was I just not taking it in and using that advice? I've heard it said time and time again, when your children are young, just play games together... enjoy their company... don't worry about the academics of it all... just read to them...
Why didn't I just listen... was I hoping to re-invent the wheel?

BUT, I am grateful that I now know where my mistake was... This year has been amazing so far. Our 'work' is relaxed, we are building our relationship. We are just spending our lives together, reading, playing games, colouring in. It might not seem like work, but the real work is getting your child to trust you and learning who your child is. There is so much time later on to focus on other things...

My child is happy and loves her 'school work' - that's more than enough for me! She doesn't need to be able to do Algebra by 6 for me to be proud of her. Working on character traits has a far higher importance in our home!

Lord bless,
Teri

No comments:

Post a Comment